All the festival visitors but mostly visitors from other Urban Environment Divisions or similar communal organsations: city planners, policymakers, architects and overall people who struggle and work with same themes and issues as we in City of Helsinki and its Urban Environment Division.
The event is an interesting and enriching afternoon seminar with several Finnish and international speakers from different backgrounds regarding policies and actions of affordable housing. The event introduces a series of short statements and lectures on various themes the professionals at the Helsinki Environment Division work with: the event presents a timeline from strategic planning to homes. Every theme has a responsible speaker(s) from City of Helsinki and/or a guest speaker(s) from European cities. The seminar participants can compare actions, have questions or comment on the statements – the main idea is to have a theme-based dialog instead of monologue.
Welcome to join us on our journey from strategy to affordable housing!
PROGRAM (subject to change) (times are EEST):
The moderator is Hanna Harris, The Chief Design Officer, City of Helsinki
|13.00||Opening and welcome remarks, Anni Sinnemäki, Deputy Mayor for Urban Environment, City of Helsinki|
|13.15–13.30||Helsinki strategic planning – a holistic approach on social mixing, Christina Suomi, Head of Unit, Spatial Planning, Strategic Urban Planning, City of Helsinki|
|13.30–13.55||How we build new and sustainable city:|
- Project Area, case Jätkäsaari, Matti Kaijansinkko, Project Leader, City of Helsinki
- Urban Renewal, case: Mellunkylä - Aareenetsijäntie, Laura Viljakainen, Architect at Detailed Planning, City of Helsinki
|14.00–14.15||Green and Equitable Helsinki, Maria Jaakkola, Manager of Urban Space and Networks, City of Helsinki|
|14.15–15.00||Comments and perspectives from 4 European cities:|
- Giulia Ragnoli, Policy advisor to the Deputy Mayor for Housing policies, Municipality of Milan
- Anette Koenders, Advisor Cultural Heritage, Municipality of Hilversum
- Kristin Kjaras, Special Advisor, City of Oslo
- Vanesa Valiño, Housing Councillor Chief of Staff, Barcelona City Council
|15.00–15.30||Coffee break & networking|
|15.30–15.45||Housing Production – affordable and beautiful, Seidi Kivisyrjä, Head of Housing Production at Urban Environment Division, City of Helsinki|
|15.45–16.05||Social Rental Housing:|
- Tenant Selection as tool to prevent segregation, Eeva Mynttinen, Planning Officer, City of Helsinki
- Supported Housing in Helsinki, Oscar Ailio, Head of Housing Unit at Facilities at Urban Environment Division, City of Helsinki
|16.05–16.50||Quality in (Social) Housing:|
- How we ensure good quality to all, Tuomas Hakala, Architect, Head of Unit, City of Helsinki
- Building Act, Ulla Vahtera, Architect, Building control services
- Panel discussion:
* Tuomas Hakala, Head of Unit, City of Helsinki
* Sanna Meriläinen, Director of Development, Urban Environment Division, City of Helsinki
* Antti Lehto, Architect, Assistant Professor, Aalto University
*Panel discussion is moderated by Ulla Kuitunen, Head of Housing Service Unit, City of Helsinki
|16.50||Closing remarks, Ulla Kuitunen, Head of Housing Service Unit, City of Helsinki|
|17.00–||Get together and drinks at the Teurastamo area (everyone’s own expense)|
Location address: The Urban Environment House (Kaupunkiympäristötalo), Työpajankatu 8, 00580 Helsinki
Arrival: Kaupunkiympäristötalo (the building of Helsinki Urban Environment Division) is in the Kalasatama district, only under 10 minutes metro ride away from the main railway station and Helsinki city center.
Take a metro to East (Vuosaari/Mellunmäki) and get off at the Kalasatama metro station. Kaupunkiympäristötalo is located a 5-minute walking distance from the metro.
Register for this event with the festival registration form.
Organizer's contact details:
City Of Helsinki